What is Sedation Dentistry?
Fear, anxiety, and stress are common feelings people experience when going to the dentist. Those feelings even go so far that people postpone their dental visits. Are you one of those people? Does the thought about going to the dentist makes your cringe? Sedation Dentistry can help take away that fear. Sedation dentistry uses medication during dental procedures to relax the patient. Sedation Dentistry is also called “sleep dentistry”, however there exist different uses of sedation dentistry.
Levels of Sedation
- Minimal Sedation - the patient is awake but relaxed
- Moderate Sedation - the patient may not remember much of the procedure and “be out of it”
- Deep Sedation - the patient is on the edge of consciousness and being awake
- General anesthesia - the patient is completely unconscious
Types of Sedation Used in Dentistry
There are a few different types of sedation used in dentistry:
- Inhaled minimal sedation: The patient breathes in “laughing gas” combined with oxygen through a mask. The dentist controls the amount of gas, which gives the relaxation feeling, the patient receives. Often times patients are able to drive later that day.
- Oral sedation: Oral sedation can vary in all levels of sedation. The medication is given through the pills. Depending on the amount the patient takes, it can have minimal effects like drowsiness to deep relaxation where the patient falls asleep or is unconscious.
- IV moderate sedation: Receiving medication through an IV usually gets it quicker to the vein and into the body´s system.
Sedation Dentists in Oxford, MS
Lee Dentistry offers sedation to people who fear the dentist. Learn more about sedation dentistry by calling us at 662-513-0055 or schedule an appointment. We understand your fear and are at your site for comfort during dental visits. Lee Dentistry is in Oxford, MS and offers the best dental care.